Thursday, September 11, 2008

Seed Paper Problems


Image: Grow-a-Note (Made in USA)


Hi Kate,


I think you have a site worth sharing. One huge problem though is all of your plantable paper. From an environmental point of view, it's a terrible idea. Most of it is made overseas, and while it is made from recycled content, it is largely sweat shopped. But worse yet is the invasive species angle. Seeds from where ever the paper is coming from don't belong where the invites are going. (Ever look in a seed catalog and notice that they won't ship some seeds to some places? This is why). While it is a cute idea, seeds from China don't belong in Chicago.


I've been making handmade paper for 11 years and talked to many botanists along the way and you won't find one who thinks seeded paper is a good idea.


All the best...
Chuck


Answer
Hi Chuck,


I have reprinted your e-mail to me because you raise a very important point that I talk about in The Green Bride Guide, but have not mentioned on this site yet. Whenever you give guests trees, seed packets or seed imbued paper you should include a note about which region of the country they can be planted in. If your guest lives outside the plant's natural range the seeds should only be germinated indoors.


To find out which trees are native to your region type your zip code into the "buy a tree" page at the National Arbor Day Foundation.


For seeds, check out the map at American Meadows.


For seed paper, unless the company specifies the species, always advise your guests to plant your cards, programs, etc. in indoor pots. (This can be accomplished with a small "please plant inside" note on the back of the card).


While I am talking about seeds I want to mention that the same rule applies for birdseed as well. Many couples now toss birdseed instead of rice. If you do this, be sure to buy a seed mix that is native to your area. Seeds that go uneaten can germinate and wreak havoc on native species.


To tackle the sweatshop issue, whenever possible I suggest purchasing locally produced seed paper or fair trade seed paper. (You can find both in the eco-products section of this website). If you are not sure, contact the company directly before buying. You can also make your own seed paper using a simple paper making kit.

2 comments:

Anna (Green Talk) said...

I actually ordered seeded paper based upon what was not an annual and what would deer not eat! (catmint). I never considered whether it was fair trade or not. I need to contact them to find out. Thanks for opening my eyes.

Helen said...

Some companies and countries employ sweat shop tactics in papermaking, but it isn't the norm. There is actually a lot of skill involved. Gandhi himself actually set up many of the hand papermills in India.

One of the finest British paper historians has worked with many of the Indian mills to consult and upgrade artisan skills.

I've been dealing in handmade paper for 15 years now. I know all of my papermakers personally, and know of just about every paper made in every country in the world.

The seeded paper was really popular in the mid 1990's and then rustic papers became "passe" -- and the trend faded.
I was surprised when seeded paper became popular again.

I've known our papermakers in India for 14 years and they are very, very good people. No sweat shops! My best friend (who is Irish) lives in India now, and has visited them as well. (He confirms they run a great operation.)

The botanical aspects have bothered me too, and I clear the seeds we use (which are US seeds) with a relative who is a well known botanist.

We also have a Cal Tech PhD in chemistry on staff, and we ask his opinion as well.

I'm unaware of any seeded paper made in China, but maybe I'm wrong. (There is one company that makes paper with embedded flowers, but any seeds would be accidental.) There are a few fine paper prefectures that survived the Cultural Revolution and still make fine Chinese calligraphy paper.

In Japan, it takes about 20 years of working everyday in the craft, to be considered a papermaker.

Most of the decorative papermaking is actually done in Taiwan.