Saturday, May 3, 2008

Legal Eagle

Question:
Hey Kate,

I read in your bio that you are in law school and was wondering if your background in law has any relevance to the book. Most of the wedding books are written by planners so I thought this was interesting.

Answer:
What a unique question - thanks for writing! My real interest in green weddings comes from my background in environmental conservation and sustainable development. However, my legal education certainly played a role in the book writing process.

First of all, law school has taught me to be extremely disciplined, organized, and thorough, and I think you will find that The Green Bride Guide is the most comprehensive resource on the market because of that.

Also - my legal background gave me access to information and made me aware of legal issues that might not occur to many wedding planners. Although The Green Bride Guide is not a legal book and does not give direct legal advice, I did do legal research for the project and have included general advice on topics related to law in the book and on this website.

For example - based on research and experience I have included a piece on what to include in a florist contract in the Quick Guides section.

I have also included lots of information about relevant laws and policies (e.g. bans on balloon releases, the need to acquire certain permits or permissions, types of trip insurance, etc.). I think this information enriches the book and makes it a more useful tool. I look forward to hearing what you think in December!

No comments: