Monday, May 12, 2008

Seasonal Flowers

Qusstion:

HI Kate,

Did you ever do a breakdown of flowers by season and region?
I am trying desperatly to pair what I want with what is available locally in season in Connecticut in September and it seems to be the hardest part of my search. I am finally begining to work with a florist who is hopefully going to be able to guide me in the right direction, but I wanted to be able to send her some flower ideas I was interested in that were good eco-choices. Any ideas?

Thanks!
-Lindsay

Answer:

Thanks for the great question Linsday! Because what is available varies significantly by region and season, I recommend using a floral chart - like the one available at Bliss Wedding Floral. While it only offers a limited list, it allows you to search by region + season and shows color pictures of the blooms (which is key). Also take a peak at the Wedding Flowers Guide which has a slightly more detailed list. You can see a picture of a bouquet with roses and dahlias (two of the flowers they suggest for fall in New England) in the look book.

Another great option is to browse a comprehensive list for another region like the fabulous one for California put out by the California Cut Flower Commission and ask you florist what she can get in CT.

For in situ inspiration - it is worth looking at floral books, and a number now discuss seasonal options (like Wedding Flower by Paul Pryke). I recommend popping into a book store so you can browse more thoroughly.


Finally, contact a local farm via Local Harvest and see what they sell during that time of year.

I can't wait to see the results.

Good luck and all the best,

Kate

No comments: